Mission statement: We are an open, collaborative fabrication laboratory where members and students convene to learn and create.
Vision statement: Fab Lab San Diego offers tools, training, and consultation services that enable community members to experiment with and master a wide variety of Maker skills. We are dedicated to sharing knowledge, building relationships, and fostering entrepreneurship.
- Community – fosters development of community of diverse people, at low cost, in a positive environment
- Collaboration/Education – sharing knowledge and ideas is critical for personal and professional growth
- Entrepreneurship – support the growth of new businesses through skill-building classes and consulting services
The following policies are in place to ensure fair access for all members to our facilities. Failure to abide by these policies may result in termination of your membership or in the user being held responsible for replacement cost and labor cost of damaged Fab Lab, Inc. property.
- In order to access the Lab and use our facilities, all users must first meet with the Fab Lab, Inc. Lab Manager and/or Safety Instructor and complete an orientation in workshop and facility safety procedures. These orientations are scheduled on a regular basis and can be arranged by emailing email@example.com or calling the Lab.
- All users of the Lab are responsible for their own safety. Fab Lab, Inc. will not be held liable or responsible for any injury sustained by using the Machine Room, the Laser Cutter, or any of the facilities or equipment of Fab Lab, Inc.
- If at any time you notice machinery, equipment, and/or tools which are not functioning properly, stop using the malfunctioning equipment and contact Staff. If Staff is not available, please contact a Board member immediately. A list of cell phone numbers is posted in several locations throughout the facility for this purpose.
- When using any of the Fab Lab, Inc. machines or facilities, members must return machines and facility to the state they were found in (i.e.clean, fully assembled, in good working order, etc.).
- Reclaimed wood is only to be used in the Lab after it has been made free of metal using a metal detector. If Lab user fails to remove all metal from wood, and the metal damages Fab Lab, Inc. blades or machines, the user will be liable for all costs (replacement and labor) associated with fixing the blade or machine and any resulting physical injuries. Please notify Staff of your intent to use reclaimed wood materials prior to bringing those materials into the facility. Under no circumstances can a Lab user store any items in the shared space of the Lab without receiving prior consent from a Lab Manager, officer, or board member. Green lumber and pressure treated lumber cannot be used on the sawstop table saw unless reviewed or tested by the staff.
- All materials and projects in the Lab must be labeled. Labels must include full name, phone number, and projected move date. All non or partially labeled projects/materials may be removed from the premises by Fab Lab, Inc. staff.
- Fab Lab, Inc. is not responsible for any damage to projects or material stored in Lab.
- All members, users of the Lab, and workshop attendees are required to sign a Release of Liability Waiver before using any equipment, tools, or services in our facility.
- Pay dues on time, abide by the Membership Agreement, and contribute to the space. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning the space, participating in projects that better the common work area (new workbenches, tables, shelves, etc.), and managing group projects. We are a volunteer-run organization. All members will be required to regularly volunteer a small amount of their time to help us hold down our operating costs, and keep our MakerSpace running smoothly and looking clean and professional.
- Membership is not a guarantee. Fab Lab, Inc. expects that every member, user of the Lab, and workshop attendee will show one another goodwill and respect. Engaging in rude, embarrassing, obnoxious, or generally nasty behavior can result in termination of your membership.
Using the MakerSpace when Workshops are in Session
- Equipment, machines, classroom space, and other areas may be reserved for classes. Check the online reservation calendar to determine availability ahead of time if you need a specific machine or work area.
- Tables marked as reserved for workshops are for the exclusive use of instructors and attendees beginning 30 minutes prior to the start of the workshop.
- Please be considerate and refrain from excessively noisy work (planning, jointing, grinding) during the first hour of the workshop.
- Classes will receive priority on the Laser Cutter and the 3D Printer Farm.
- Classes will receive priority on using all equipment in the Machine Room.
- If you are on a deadline with a project, please speak with the instructor and/or Lab Manager. We want you to finish your project and have the workshop be a success.
Lab Rules and Conduct
- Always wear proper eye and ear protection while in the Lab area. This applies regardless if you are working on machinery or not.
- No member, user of the workshop, or workshop attendee may use any Lab equipment unless authorized to do so through by successfully passing the Fab Lab, Inc. safety orientation course.
- Only authorized Fab Lab, Inc. members are permitted in the workshops without prior permission and supervision. Keeping foot traffic to a minimum creates a safer and more comfortable working environment.
- Never run any materials with metal or paint through any of the Machine Room machines.
- No wet or green wood materials of any kind may be run through any of the Machine Room machines.
- Replacement cost due to neglect by breaking Lab Rules will be the responsibility of the individual who caused the damage.
- No pets allowed in any of the workshop areas.
- Keep noise to a minimum.
- Do not attempt to oil, clean, adjust or repair any machine while it is running. Do not perform any of these tasks unless you have the proper training and permissions to do so. Performing maintenance on moving machinery can lead to injury or death.
- Never open any covers, casing, or shrouds while the machine is running.
- Ensure that all machine guarding is in place and functioning properly. It is your duty to inform the Lab Manager if the guarding is damaged or malfunctioning. Malfunctioning guarding will not properly protect you and becomes a hazard itself.
- Never leave machines running unattended. Others may not notice the machine is running and be injured by moving tooling.
- Do not try to stop the machine with your hands or body. Stopping the machine with your body can result in entanglement, dismemberment or death. Always let moving parts come to a stop under their own power.
- Always keep hands, hair, feet, etc. clear of all moving machinery at all times. All long hair must be tied back above shoulder height. Loose fitting clothes such as baggy sweatshirts or long sleeve shirts with loose cuffs should not be worn in the Lab.
- Double-check that all tooling and work pieces are properly supported and clamped prior to starting the machine.
- Heavy or unwieldy work pieces often require special support structures or assistance from other members or Lab support. Always ask for help if you are unsure if your work piece requires additional support.
- Remove chuck keys, wrenches and other tools from machines after making adjustments. Chuck keys left in the chuck when the machine turns on become dangerous flying objects.
- Ask for help when moving awkward or heavy objects. This will protect you and those around you from injury.
- Always deburr sharp edges of freshly cut stock. This includes the piece of stock that goes back in the stock rack. Eliminating burred edges minimizes the chances for personal injury and marring of precision machine surfaces.
- Never start a conversation with someone who is using machinery. Always wait for them to complete their task before talking.
- Never attempt to squeeze behind someone while they are using machinery. Always stop and wait for them to complete their task before passing.
- Work at a pace that is comfortable for you. Rushing will compromise your safety and increases the chance of damaging equipment.
- Listen to the machine(s) — if something does not sound right, shut it down. Often if the machine sounds abnormal to you, it likely is not operating properly. Inform the Lab Manager if you believe the machine to be operating abnormally.
- If you do not know, or are unsure how to do something — ASK! Do not engage in any activity that you are not comfortable with. Trust your judgment. Check with the Lab supervisor or another member who has more experience.
- Every member is responsible for keeping their keys and cards secure. Immediately report the loss of keys or access cards to any Fab Lab, Inc. Board member or supervisor. This will help us maintain security and ensure that no unauthorized person is using your card. There will be a $5 replacement fee for all lost or stolen keys and cards.
- You are responsible for cleaning up after each project. Sweeping, wiping down machines, and cleaning off tables shows respect for other members coming in after you.
- Keep floors free of oil, grease or any other liquid. Members are responsible for keeping all work areas clean and free of debris.
- Please clean up spilled liquids immediately to prevent slipping hazards.
- All materials should be stored in such a way that they cannot become tripping hazards. Return all excess material to its proper storage place.
- All hazardous materials and chemicals must be properly stored in the locked cabinet at all times when not in use. Prior permissions are required to use and house such materials.
- Stay organized -putting tools away when not in use prevents loss and also makes them available to others.
- Don’t waste. Place all used scrap in marked containers.
- All work should stop 15 minutes prior to the time you need to leave the Fab Lab, Inc. This will provide ample time to clean and replace tools for the next member.
Electronics, Computing, & Networking Policy
You agree that when using electronic, computing, or network devices (“Services”) owned by Fab Lab, Inc., or connected to its network, that you will not:
- Use the Services in connection with contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming or any duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise).
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information on or through Fab Lab, Inc. Services.
- Upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, by way of example, and not as limitation, copyright or trademark laws (or by rights of privacy or publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent to do the same.
- Use any material or information, including images or photographs, which are made available through the Services in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party.
- Upload files that contain viruses, Trojan Horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer or property of another.
- Download any file(s) that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally reproduced, displayed, performed, and/or distributed in such manner.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Services.
- Violate any code of conduct or other guidelines, which may be applicable for any particular Service.
- Harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including email addresses, without the authorization or consent of the disclosing party.
- Violate any applicable laws or regulations by creating a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
Personal Tools, Equipment, & Materials Policy
Personal use tools, equipment, and materials are allowed to be brought into the Fab Lab, Inc. facility. Any personal tools must be checked in by the Lab Staff to ensure safety and appropriateness.
All personal use equipment, tools, and materials must be CLEARLY labeled with your name, phone and email address.
Personal use tools, equipment, and/or materials may not be used by other members without the express permission of the owner.
Any and all personal use tools, equipment, and materials must leave with the owner, unless otherwise permitted, or be secured in a private storage location.
Fab Lab, Inc. is not responsible for lost or stolen tools, equipment, or materials.
Workshop Attendance and Participation Policy
Advance registration is necessary. Instructors, workshop times, and workshop dates are subject to change. If we reschedule a workshop to another date, attendees are entitled to a full refund. Fab Lab, Inc. reserves the right to change instructors without prior notification, and to change workshop location and meeting times by up to an hour with 48 hours prior notice. To register for a workshop, attendees must pay in full at the time of enrollment. To sign up after the registration deadline, please call to ensure enrollment is still open.
Withdrawals & Transfers
In the event a attendee must withdraw from a workshop, he or she may do so any time before the registration deadline of the workshop, and will receive a 75% refund of workshop cost plus any equipment or material fees. For certain workshops such as the Build Your Own 3D Printer class, materials are non-refundable as noted in the course description. Workshop enrollment is nontransferable: requesting to transfer to another section of the same workshop is considered a withdrawal. Withdrawals on or after the workshop registration deadline are not refundable and workshop fees are not transferable. A credit of your enrollment fee may be issued for medically excused emergencies (with documentation) or family bereavement. Other than this, there will be no exceptions. Please give us advance notice to the extent possible.
Material & Equipment Fees
Workshops that make use of tools or supplies will most likely require a material or equipment fee. This pays for in-workshop consumable items (e.g., drill bits, gas, wood, metal, etc.) and the upkeep of tools used for that specific workshop (saw sharpening, tool repair, welding tips, software updates). In some circumstances, attendees may also be required to purchase certain supplies on their own. This will be clearly indicated in the full online and displayed course descriptions.
Missed Workshops & Lateness
Missing the first day of a course may be grounds for withdrawal without refund. Please email us if you know you are going to miss the first day of a course. Advance notice may allow some sort of accommodation, such as a paid makeup session. However, Fab Lab, Inc. is not obligated to offer complimentary makeup sessions outside workshop times or in concurrent or future course sections. Instructors are not obligated to catch attendees up during scheduled workshop time for missed sessions or excessive lateness.
If We Cancel or Reschedule a Workshop
Most workshops offered at Fab Lab, Inc. must have a minimum of 7 attendees registered in order for the workshop to commence. In the event a workshop does not receive sufficient enrollment, it may be canceled. Attendees will be notified at least 48 hours prior to the start of the workshop. In the event of a cancellation, attendees will be refunded within 10 business days. If we reschedule a workshop to another date, attendees are also entitled to a full refund. Fab Lab, Inc. reserves the right to change instructors without prior notification, and to change workshop meeting times by up to an hour with 48 hours prior notice.
At the conclusion of every workshop, attendees may receive an emailed evaluation request. We depend upon your feedback to help us improve our offerings. If you have any issue with a workshop you are currently enrolled in, please either raise your issue with the instructor at the end of the workshop meeting or email us. It is our general experience that most issues can be satisfactorily addressed before the workshop concludes. Complaint resolution may involve contacting the instructor and other attendees. All emailed comments will remain confidential upon request.
Membership and Workshop Participation
Agreement Fab Lab, Inc.
This Membership Agreement (“Agreement”) is entered into by and between Fab Lab, Inc., and the undersigned member and any associated minors on the date this Agreement is signed “Effective Date”.
- Membership Package
Member has agreed to pay the amount(s) indicated under MEMBERSHIP & DUES SCHEDULE attached as an addendeum to this Agreement and made a part hereof in exchange for the membership benefits listed and Fab Lab, Inc. agrees to provide such benefits to Member.
- Rights of Publicity and Consent to Receive Emails
Member hereby grants to Fab Lab, Inc. the right to photograph and videotape Member and Member’s materials and art and to use, copy, modify, publish and distribute such photographs and videotapes taken in the Fab Lab, Inc. facility and any derivatives thereof, in any and all formats, currently known or unknown. Member also hereby releases, discharges, and agrees to hold harmless Fab Lab, Inc. and its owners, agents, landlord, officers, and employees from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof.
The term of this Agreement begins on the Effective Date and will continue on a recurring basis as described in the MEMBERSHIP & DUES SCHEDULE (attached). All Membership cancellations must be received by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, at least 5 days prior to desired final membership bill date, at which point the member’s last month of membership will begin.
- Immediate Termination
Fab Lab, Inc. may immediately terminate the rights granted to Member herein if Member violates Lab rules, is in breach of one or more of its obligations which breach it fails to cure within seven
(7) days of receipt of a written notice specifying the nature of the breach, or if Member’s conduct, or that of someone at the facility with Members’ permission or invitation, interferes with use of the facility by other members or results in damage, injury or threat to Fab Lab, Inc. or its staff or members. If Fab Lab, Inc. terminates Member’s rights for any of these reasons it shall not be required to refund any fees.
- Compliance with the Law
Member agrees to comply with all relevant laws and regulations in its use of the Fab Lab, Inc. facilities and agrees not to interfere with the use of the facility by Fab Lab, Inc. or by others, cause any nuisance or annoyance, cause an increase in Fab Lab, Inc.’s insurance premiums or cause loss or damage to Fab Lab, Inc. (including, but not limited to, damage to reputation), its landlord or any other member or user of the Fab Lab, Inc. facility or their property. Member acknowledges that (a) the terms of the foregoing sentence are a material inducement in Fab Lab, Inc.’ execution of this Agreement and (b) any violation by Member of the foregoing sentence shall constitute a material default by Member hereunder, entitling Fab Lab, Inc. to terminate this Agreement, without further notice.
- WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
The facility, tools, materials, equipment, and all services associated with this membership and any workshops are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Fab Lab, Inc. disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, without limitation, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
- Limitation of Liability & Waiver
Member has read, understood, agreed to, and signed a Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement which will be provided simultaneously with this Membership Agreement prior to the use of facilities, and/or attendance at any workshop provided by the Fab Lab, Inc. No member or non-member is permitted to use the facilities, tools, or machinery for any reason without the acceptance and signing of this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- Policies and Safety Procedures
Member has read, understood, and agreed to the policies and safety procedures of the Fab Lab, Inc. which will be provided simultaneously with this Membership Agreement prior to the use of facilities, and/or attendance at any workshop provided by the Fab Lab, Inc. No member or non-member is permitted to use the facilities, tools, or machinery for any reason without the acceptance of these policies and safety procedures.
- Photography and Media
I hereby grant permission to the use of my and undersigned minors’ images and likenesses as recorded on audio or video tape without payment or any other consideration. I understand that my image may be edited, copied, exhibited, published or distributed and I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of my image or recording. I also understand that this material may be used in diverse educational settings within an unrestricted geographic area. Photographic, audio or video recordings may be used for the following purposes: conference presentations, educational presentations or courses, informational presentations, on-line educational courses, educational videos, banners and marketing materials, and other similar uses both in print and online.
This Agreement and the rights and obligations hereunder may not be assigned, delegated or transferred by either party without the prior written consent of the other party. Any such attempt shall be void.
None of the conditions or provisions of this Agreement shall be held to have been waived by any act or knowledge on the part of either party, except by an instrument in writing signed by a duly authorized officer or representative of such party. Further, the waiver by either party of any right hereunder or the failure to enforce at any time any of the provisions of this Agreement, or any rights with respect thereto, shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any other rights hereunder or any breach or failure of performance of the other party.
- Governing Law; Venue
This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with, and governed by, the laws of the State of California as applied to contracts that are executed and performed entirely in California. The exclusive venue for any action, arbitration or other proceeding based on or arising out of this Agreement shall be San Luis Obispo County, California..
- Jurisdiction of Disputes; Mediation
Any disputes based on or arising out of this Agreement or its subject matter, whether based on contract, tort or other legal theory, shall be heard and determined by a judge of the Superior Court of California, County of San Luis Obispo.
The parties acknowledge that disputes brought before the Superior Court are normally referred to mediation prior to trial. Both parties agree to participate in mediation proceedings if recommended by the court.
If any provision of this Agreement is declared invalid or unenforceable by a court having competent jurisdiction, it is mutually agreed that this Agreement shall endure except for the part declared invalid or unenforceable by order of such court. The parties shall consult and use their best efforts to agree upon a valid and enforceable provision which shall be a reasonable substitute for such invalid or unenforceable provision in light of the intent of this Agreement.
- Entire Agreement
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties hereto pertaining to the subject matter hereof, superseding any and all other previous and contemporaneous agreements, understandings, proposals, conditions, warranties, representations or statements, oral or written, with regard to the subject matter hereof. Any previous agreements between the parties pertaining to the subject matter of this Agreement are hereby expressly canceled and terminated.
Membership Agreement Signature Page
Please print and sign to confirm that you have read, understood, and agree to the
Fab Lab, Inc.’s terms of membership, rules, and safety procedures.
Once signed, bring this form in during your safety orientation. Or scan it and send a copy to email@example.com
Membership Dues & Schedule
WorkSpace Membership: $40/month recurring membership allows access to WorkSpace area, classroom, 3D printer(s), sewing machines and electronics workstations.
Workshop Membership: $95/month recurring membership allows access to entire Lab including wood and metalworking areas and CNC router.
Family Membership: $50/month for each family member 16 or older added for Workshop, $20/month for each family member 16 or older for WorkSpace. Under 16 is free with direct parented supervision at all times.
Payment Schedule: Monthly, Monthly w/ Auto-Renew, 12 Month Discounted MembershipsAgreement
By signing this Agreement member agrees to comply with Fab Lab, Inc.’s Participation Facility Policies, Rules, and Safety Procedures, which Member acknowledges to have received. Fab Lab, Inc. reserves the right to update and modify such policies and rules and Member agrees to review and be familiar with the most recent policies and rules before each use of the facility.
Print Participant Name _________________________________________
Participant Signature _______________________________________ Date ____________________
Print Guardian Name _________________________________________
Guardian Signature ________________________________________ Date ___________________
WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT FOR FAB LAB, INC., MEMBERSHIP AND/OR WORKSHOP ATTENDANCE
In consideration for receiving permission to participate in the Fab Lab, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as Fab Lab San Diego and/or a workshop) I hereby RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE, Fab Lab, Inc., its agents, servants, or employees (hereinafter referred to as “RELEASEES”) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any of the property belonging to me, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES, or otherwise, while participating in such activity, or while in, on or upon the premises where the activity is being conducted.
I am fully aware of the unusual risks involved and hazards connected with activities and materials used in the Fab Lab San Diego. I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in said activity with full knowledge that said activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I VOLUNTARILY ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISKS OF LOSS, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage of property owned by me, as a result of being engaged in such activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
I further hereby AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the RELEASEES from any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney fees that they may incur due to my participation in said activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
It is my express intent that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the above-named RELEASEES. I hereby further agree that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California
IN SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I ACKNOWLEDGE AND REPRESENT THAT I have read the foregoing Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement, understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made; I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; and I execute this Release for full, adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.
If any of the provisions of this Agreement are found to be unenforceable, the remainder shall be enforced as fully as possible and the unenforceable provision(s) shall be deemed modified to the limited extent required to permit enforcement of the Agreement as a whole.
Print Participant Name _________________________________________
Participant Signature _______________________________________
Print Guardian Name _________________________________________
Guardian Signature ________________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT FOR FAB LAB, INC. MEMBERS AND STAFF
It is understood and agreed that Fab Lab, Inc., and all members, clients, and subcontractors thereof (hereby known as “the discloser”), might disclose certain information that is and must be kept confidential. To ensure the protection of such information, and to preserve any confidentiality necessary under patent and/or trade secret laws, it is agreed that:
- Confidential Information is described as and includes, but is not limited to:
Invention description(s), technical and business information relating to proprietary ideas and inventions, ideas, patentable ideas, trade secrets, drawings and/or illustrations, existing and/or contemplated products and services, research and development, production, costs, profit and margin information, finances and financial projections, customers, clients, marketing, and current or future business plans and models, regardless of whether such information is designated as “Confidential Information” at the time of its disclosure.
- The Recipient agrees not to disclose any Confidential Information obtained from the discloser to anyone unless required to do so by law.
- This Agreement states the entire agreement between the parties concerning the disclosure of Confidential Information. Any addition or modification to this Agreement must be made in writing and signed by the parties.
- If any of the provisions of this Agreement are found to be unenforceable, the remainder shall be enforced as fully as possible and the unenforceable provision(s) shall be deemed modified to the limited extent required to permit enforcement of the Agreement as a whole.
WHEREFORE, the parties acknowledge that they have read and understand this Agreement and voluntarily accept the duties and obligations set forth herein.
Print Name _________________________________________